COVID-19 UPDATE: The Food Pantry & Nutrition Center will be closed temporarily through 1/1/21. If you need food please go to www.foodbank.org/find-food to identify another food pantry that serves your neighborhood/zip code. More resources are listed at the bottom of this page and you may also call (508) 755-6403 x13 or 1-800-645-8333 for a referral. Sorry for any inconvenience. We wish you a safe and happy Holiday Season and look forward to serving you soon!
Nutrition Center Services
The Food Pantry at Jeremiah’s Inn (JI) provides emergency food assistance to individuals and families in need.
Nutrition Center Coordinator – Mary Tambling
(508) 755-6403 Ext. 13
1059 Main St., Worcester, MA 01603
One third of our clients are children of low-income families who receive benefits through programs like SNAP, WIC and School Meal Programs.
In 2019, the Jeremiah’s Inn food pantry provided emergency food to over 10,000 people in South Worcester. Children and elderly make up a significant portion of our clients. Jeremiah’s Inn wants to make sure that all children have what they need to grow and thrive. We are also committed to making sure our older clients have access to fresh, healthy food that helps them stretch their limited budgets.
Around 30% of our clients are over the age of 55. Many will be taking care of grandchildren this fall while parents work.
Other Programs & Services
Each month JI partners with Cooking Matters to conduct a tour of our local grocery store. A qualified representative will teach participants how to read food labels and make healthy choices while shopping on a budget. We also encourage our residents to take part in this program to learn how to live healthy, and shop wisely, as a part of a recovered lifestyle. To find out when the next tour is please contact our Nutrition Center Coordinator.
We receive support from Greater Worcester Community Foundation and the Worcester Together Fund to supply free masks masks and other supplies to all clients of the food pantry with their orders as they are available. However, if you are not in our service area and are in need masks or other supplies please contact (508) 755-6403 x 13 to check availability.
We partner with Camp Street Community Gardens and Community Harvest Project, a non-profit farm in Grafton that engages volunteers to grow fresh fruits and vegetables to provide to those experiencing hunger. We receive thousands of pounds of fresh vegetables from them each season. Staff and residents also volunteer on the farm! Great exercise and a great way to give back to the community.
Nutrition Center Hours
- Monday 12pm- 3:30
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9am – 2pm
- Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday – CLOSED
Emergency Food Pantry Eligibility
- We serve Zip Codes: 01602, 01603, 01610
- Each household may come once a month
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) commodities are available as needed
- Jeremiah’s Inn uses The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) income guidelines to determine income eligibility
- Clients who are in the low-moderate income level or who receive Medicaid (MA Health), SNAP (formerly food stamps), EAEDC, WIC, Free or Reduced School Meals, or Summer Feeding Program automatically qualify
- Please refer to the USDA.gov website for specific and up-to-date income levels. If you need assistance with your enrollment please contact Nutrition Center Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org.
to receive food please be sure to bring one of the following when you visit:
1. Jeremiah’s Inn Card (please note – new clients will receive this card upon their first visit)
2. Other documents to prove residency in our service area (zip codes: 01602, 01603, 01610)
- To receive your Jeremiah’s Inn Card please bring something with your name and address on it.
- For example: any piece of mail with your name and address on it – a monthly bill, health insurance card, rental agreement, referral letter, etc. if you have any questions about eligibility please contact Nutrition Center staff.
We kindly ask that food pantry clients bring their own bags when possible. We are always in need of bags and boxes, and accept donations of reusable shopping bags and totes.
We partner with local agencies who donate fresh dairy, produce, milk, eggs and other necessities to local families and to the residents at the Inn.
- Worcester County Food Bank Resource Locator
- Project Bread FoodSource Hotline at 1-800-645-8333 TTY 1-800-377 1292
- The Worcester WIC (Women, Infant, Children) Feeding Program is operated by the Family Health Center, located at 199 Chandler Street. Their phone number is: (508) 762-5700
- The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is operated by the Worcester Community Action Council, located at 484 Main Street. Their phone number is: (508) 754-1176
- Feeding America
- No Kid Hungry
- USDA Hunger Hotline 1-866-3-HUNGRY
- Mass 211
- Stigma Free Worcester
Get In Touch
1059 Main St., Worcester, MA 01603